At present, SpyFu is indexing over 7 billion search results and over 108 million different domains. It is due to this database that SpyFu is considered to be a considerable alternative to SEMrush.
The benefits of SpyFu range from helping in the analysis of the site to spying on a competitor’s website and searching for organic keywords and paid keyword searches. SpyFu is a whole process, which you can understand by digging in deeper.
SpyFu Keyword Research
For any SEO or PPC campaign, the first thing that is required is searching and grouping keywords. The task of SpyFu is to assist with searching for keywords based on specific data provided to the tool.
If you have a keyword in your mind, you can provide it to the tool and wait for it to deliver you with a list of possible keywords matching the one that you provided. This result will help you with your SEO and PPC campaign.
There are a few things that you must know to get familiar with the SpyFu keyword research tool dashboard:
- Keyword overview – It displays the different metrics and values based on the keyword provided by you. It pertains to aspects such as volume, difficulty, related keywords, and much more. It will be good to look at profit-related keywords on this front, though.
- Top AdWords buy recommendations – For running ads, these are the keywords that you should be working with.
- Profitable related keywords – There will be a heap of keywords that you can use to finalize the list of keywords. With SpyFu, you can easily curtail this task and obtain a list of keywords that have a proven track record of results in the case of your competitors.
- Backlinks to rank your keywords – Considered to be one of the best sections, you will be able to know how many links you require to get a rank among the top 10 for the targeted keywords.
- Keyword grouping – Under this feature, you will be able to group different keywords according to your own buckets.
Along with this data and functionality, you can also use SpyFu to obtain the best advertisers, which helps eliminate the wasteful time you have to spend in searching for the same.
The other best thing about the whole keyword analysis is the feature of Organic SERP analysis. SpyFu offers keyword analysis and grouping of profitable keywords, with which one can analyze the top 10 SERP results, which can be expanded for up to 50 results.
A Site audit should be conducted after the search for all keywords is complete. With the help of a technical site audit, you will be able to decipher the status of your website, as well as a competitor’s website.
With SpyFu, you can also search for and locate easy link prospects, with the help of a quick competitor’s analysis. SpyFu also allows you to obtain links for your website, which are designed around your keyword and would be best for your website and different web pages.
Based on how your competitors are making use of the keyword, you can also create compelling content around a particular keyword. For this, you will be required to identify those sections of your content which are the best and using that to create supporting content that can supplement it.
This could be extra information, different perspectives, videos, and much more. You will be able to promote each of these pieces by linking them to the main article.
To use SpyFu backlink checker, use the search bar, type your domain and choose to view the backlinks, which will display a complete list of websites which you link to and which link to you. From this point on, you will be able to separate them as sites, forums, and more.
Before you get started, there are two more things that you must take note of. These include measuring the effect of the content and nurturing the leads which you obtain.
Conduct Competitor Analysis
For any online business, it can be crucial to conduct competitor analyses. A competitor’s data can present you with significant opportunities and point you in the right direction. The first thing to do here is to identify your competitors. Here are some of the common ways to monitor the strategies of your competitors.
SpyFu competitor analysis is useful feature. The first thing that you need to do at this point is to identify your competition. With this tool, you will be able to identify competitors you have not even thought of before.
Tracking the ads of competitors is another viable arena where you must focus your effort. Find out where they are spending their money and what does their copy look like. When you find out the answers to these questions, you will have gained much deeper insights into the working of your competitors.
At this point, you should also make use of ranking history to track the SEO performance of the competitors. This will help you find out notable events and, consequently, find out the factors that impact the website’s ranking. Reviewing the backlink profile of the competitors can also have a notable impact.
Setting Ad Copy
If you intend to run advertisements for your business, and at the same time, need to set up an Ad copy, SpyFu can help you in the task. With the help of SpyFu, you can search and group keywords for the ad copy.
At the same time, SpyFu PPC can help you in locating the best ad copy, which will deliver a high rate of conversion in return. With the use of this tool, you will be able to target those keywords which are highly looked for by your customers and will remain useful for your business.
Here are the features of the PPC tool at SpyFu:
- It can work as a spy tool for AdWords of the competitors.
- Find those keywords which are being used by competitors but are not on your list.
- Make a grouping of AdWords keywords
- Make a note of the PPC ads of competitors.
- Keep a track of the rank of your PPC ad.
When aiming for an organic rank, these tools can prove to be of utmost value:
- Kombat Keywords – With this tool, monitor the keywords which your competitors are targeting. These keywords could make the difference between their business and yours. Obtain exclusive keywords with this tool, along with weak keywords, which could be useful for both paid and organic campaigns.
- Backlink Kombat – You can obtain backlinks with this tool, which could prove to be very useful for organic ranking of your keywords. You can easily monitor and analyze your competitors with this tool and select the best backlinking opportunities.
With the List Builder tool, you can obtain a list of top domains under different categories, such as domains with the highest organic traffic, etc. Apart from this, you can also view the other top lists, such as lists of keywords based on CPC, number of clicks, and more.
You can fill a form and obtain any other custom list that you may require for your purpose. Based on the keywords that you enter, SpyFu can help you by building a list featuring leads. You will be able to obtain information such as domain name and contact information. These leads can be used to reach out to customers.
Reporting is really important if client SEO is your thing. With SpyFu, you can create and display useful SEO and PPC reports. During the process of report generation, you will be able to choose what you wish to generate.
You can choose a domain for which you want the reports to be made. After this, SpyFu will provide related competitors in that domain, which can be used for your report. This is especially quite useful when you wish to give your clients a comparative review about the performance scale.
SpyFu Pros & Cons
Here are some of the advantages and disadvantages of using SpyFu.
- Good for overall visibility and reporting.
- Quick access to keywords and all related history of PPC and the ability to print reports.
- Find shared keywords using Kombat and identify how you are working differently than competitors.
- Discover competition in terms of keywords and ads.
- Big selection of tools to work with.
- Beautiful presentation of data through graphs and diagrams.
- Great for making competitor research.
- In depth SEO and PPC reports.
- There’s no free trial on SpyFu. Instead, you can use the free version to check out how the site works.
- Campaigns of some websites, which are missing from the database, are not shown.
- Exporting graphs and charts is an issue since only data can be exported. Moreover, the tool performs at a sluggish speed at times.
- Some many dashboards and options can make it difficult to discover the data you are really intent on finding.
- The user interface may prove to be slightly cluttered at times.
- Whitelabel reports are limited to professional and team plans alone.
SpyFu Review Final Verdict
With any content, it is important to determine and establish the purpose behind creating it. Point out and consider if your content educates the existing customer, leads to new prospects for the customers, or tries to gain new sign-ups for your newsletter.
Content planning must be done around this core process. Basically, every step you take and every effort you make on the content front must be directly able to support this.
Here are some steps which will help you set the right goals:
- Goals can be big but should be broken down into meaningful and measurable terms.
- Instead of aiming for driving more traffic to your website, set a more measurable parameter to measure the growth of your website, such as obtaining a given number of new visitors during a given month.
- Conversions will always rank higher than traffic.
- Always try to achieve an intersection between your goals and the goals of your visitors.
- Never neglect links and the role that they play. Always keep an eye out for the entities that link to you and the entities you link to. You can keep a tab on this through Google Search Console, which answers this for you, under ‘links to me.’
- You can also use SpyFu here and search for specific domain names and find the specific backlinks that are directing back to your website. With this tool, you can segregate the links into news sites, forums, discussion groups, and more.
As a competitor research tool, SpyFu is definitely worth it, to a large extent. The best part about the tool is that it is not merely limited to this aspect alone. With the use of this tool, you can manage the SEO aspect of your website to a large extent and also use it to attract new customers.
For someone who works with a large number of PPC campaigns and ads, SpyFu can prove to be a real investment. For a blogger or a client of an SEO agency, it will be better to opt for a tool such as SEMrush. As a complete SEO offering, SpyFu can prove to be an economic investment.
If you are not sure if SpyFu meets your needs, you are free to test it. You can visit the site and test the tool without registering or anything. It is worth a test.
- Easy to use - 8.3/10
- Settings - 9.4/10
- Price - 8.8/10
- Overall quality - 8.7/10
- Discover competition
- Beautiful presentation of data
- SEO and PPC reports
- Big selection of tools
- Identify what works for your competitors
- Backlink checker
- Check ads competition
- Difficulty exporting graphs and charts
- Whitelabel reports only in professional and team plan
- Little pricey
- Too many options can confuss users